Friday, May 22, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
NewsTrendsKE
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
NewsTrendsKE
No Result
View All Result

Home » Featured » Sudan: 800,000 still trapped in El Fasher where supplies running out, warns World Health Organization (WHO)

Sudan: 800,000 still trapped in El Fasher where supplies running out, warns World Health Organization (WHO)

2 years ago
in Featured, Technology
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp


Download logo

In an alert, Dr Shible Sahbani, WHO Representative to Sudan, said that heavy fighting between Sudan’s rival militaries had made access to El Fasher “completely impossible”, as the country’s warring parties continue to hold talks in Geneva.

Also Read

NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Seychelles: President Herminie Visits District Administration Office and Library on La Digue

21 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Eritrea: Diaspora Nationals Celebrate Independence Day Anniversary

21 May 2026
Load More

The latest warning about the emergency comes 15 months since heavy conflict erupted between rival militaries in Sudan over a proposed transition to civilian rule, following a military coup in 2021 and the 2019 ousting of long-time President Omar Al-Bashir.

Millions forced to flee

“The Darfurs, Kordofans, Khartoum and Al Jazira states are all but cut off from humanitarian and health assistance due to the relentless fighting,” the WHO official told journalists in Geneva. “The situation in Darfur is particularly alarming, where in places like El Fasher…the wounded cannot get the urgent care they need; children and pregnant and breastfeeding women are weak due to acute hunger.”

Large parts of Sudan have been impacted by the fighting, after hostilities involving heavy weapons and fighter jets spread from the capital, Khartoum, to other regions and states including the Darfurs, located in the west of the vast country.

In addition to pleas to the belligerents to ensure the protection of civilians, aid teams and public infrastructure including hospitals in line with international humanitarian law, the WHO official insisted that access was “immediately needed so that we can avert the disastrous health situation”.

Relief supplies on the move

Existing healthcare stockpiles have been used to supply a few hospitals in El Fasher, but “it’s not enough and it’s not sustainable”, the WHO official insisted, adding that the UN aid coordination office, OCHA, was continuing to negotiate with the various parties at war to allow relief supplies to be trucked in wherever possible.

“As we speak now I have seven trucks moving from Kordofans towards Darfur… and just yesterday we got the approval to have them moving towards Darfur,” said Dr Sahbani, adding that there were also “good signs” about cross-border aid operations from “all the different parties”.

“But it’s not enough, again, because we have to deal with these cases on ad hoc basis…We need more advocacy in the country with the different belligerents, but we need also advocacy with the big, countries, with those who have a certain influence on the situation.”

Dr Sahbani said that while he was on an assessment mission to neighbouring Chad last week, desperate refugees had told him that “the main reason they left Sudan now is hunger, is famine…They said it’s not insecurity, it’s not lack of access to basic services, but because we have nothing to eat there.”

The WHO official described his shock when a woman who had fled Darfur and reached Adré just past Chad’s eastern border told him that “whatever we use to produce [food] locally, to eat, was taken by fighters”. She had walked for three days with her children in search of safety, without food for the entire journey.

Geneva talks focus

Dr. Sahbani warned that the humanitarian response in Sudan remains only 26 per cent funded as he described the emergency as “one of the worst in the world”.

Humanitarian access and protection of civilians are among the main points under discussion at the UN-led talks between representatives from the Sudanese Armed Forces and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces that began last week in Geneva, under the leadership of the UN Secretary-General’s Personal Envoy for Sudan, Ramtane Lamamra.

UN Geneva spokesperson Alessandra Vellucci told journalists that both delegations were “engaged” and that Mr. Lamamra and his team have had several interactions with each throughout the weekend.

“If we don’t get [a] ceasefire, at least we could get the protection of civilians and the opening of humanitarian corridors,” Dr Sahbani noted.

Distributed by APO Group on behalf of UN News.

Previous Post

Bahamas’ Prime Minister Philip Davis, Others Set to Headline African Leadership Magazine (ALM) Africa Summit, London – United Kingdom (UK) 2024

Next Post

Mastercard Foundation EdTech Conference in Abuja Ends with 10 Recommendations for Delivering the Future of Learning in Africa

Related Posts

NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Seychelles: President Herminie Visits District Administration Office and Library on La Digue

21 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Eritrea: Diaspora Nationals Celebrate Independence Day Anniversary

21 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Senegal Retains Title as Overall Champion at ECOWAS African Wrestling Tournament (TOLAC 14)

21 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Strengthens Regional Integration Through Cross-Border Cooperation Stakeholders’ Meeting in Abuja, Nigeria

21 May 2026
KCB Bank

KCB Group Q1 Net Profit Rises 10% to KSh18.2 Billion on Higher Income, Improved Asset Quality

21 May 2026
Liberty Kenya Holdings Chief Executive, Kieran Godden speaking during the Liberty pension conference held in Nairobi

Liberty Kenya Targets Seniors, Children in Care With New Health Insurance Covers

13 May 2026
RUBiS Energy Kenya Fanikiwa na Ultra Tec

EPRA Set to Allow Petrol to Be Blended With Locally Produced Biofuel

21 May 2026
Saveer Vohra of Vohra Group delivers a keynote address during a breakfast meeting at Serena Hotel, Nairobi, to launch Stanbic Bank’s Family-Owned Business Proposition

Stanbic Bank Kenya launches advisory proposition for family-owned businesses

19 May 2026
Tecno

TECNO Launches Localised AI in Kenya, Built to Work on Real African Smartphones, Languages and Daily Use Cases

15 May 2026
Google introduces new agentic era with Gemini

Google introduces new agentic era with Gemini

21 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE

NewsTrendsKE

A News Blog For Readers Who Want More

Follow us on social media:

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

No Result
View All Result
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

Go to mobile version