Friday, August 21, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result

Home » APO News » United Nations (UN) relocates non-critical staff from North Kivu, Democratic Republic of the Congo

United Nations (UN) relocates non-critical staff from North Kivu, Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Queen Amber
2 years ago
in APO News
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp


Download logo

The UN is temporarily relocating non-essential staff from Goma in the Democratic Republic of the Congo on Saturday without interrupting its operations in the country at a time heightened security concerns.

The UN mission in DR Congo, MONUSCO, is relocating administrative staff and others in North Kivu that can continue performing their duties from elsewhere in response to the deteriorating security situation and intensifying hostilities involving the non-State armed group M23, a Rwandan-backed movement fighting against the Congolese Government.

“This precautionary measure safeguards staff safety while ensuring the UN’s vital operations in the region remain uninterrupted,” MONUSCO said in a statement.

“This transfer does not affect the UN’s unwavering commitment to providing humanitarian aid and protecting civilians in North Kivu.”

Situation worsening

The area has seen a repeated resurgence of non-State armed groups in the past. Clashes between the M23 and Congolese Government troops intensified earlier this month.

According to news agencies, combatants from M23 killed the military governor of North Kivu on Thursday as the general was inspecting the border.

Some 400,000 people have been displaced in North and South Kivu since the beginning of this year alone, according to the UN refugee agency, UNHCR.

On Friday, the UN agency’s chief of office in Goma, Abdoulaye Barry, told UN News in an exclusive interview that the situation is becoming increasingly unsafe for both civilians and aid teams.

Essential staff remain on the ground

Essential UN personnel are remaining on the ground, sustaining critical operations such as food distribution, medical assistance, shelter and protection for vulnerable communities.

At the same time, the UN is working closely with humanitarian partners and national authorities to ensure lifesaving assistance reaches those most in need and prevent any threat against civilians.

The temporary relocation of staff will be reassessed based on the evolution of the security situation, with the aim of fully restoring the presence as soon as conditions allow.

“The United Nations reaffirms its deep commitment to the people of North Kivu,” the UN mission said.

UN Secretary General António Guterres has called for an immediate end to the fighting, noting that the conflict has taken a devastating toll on the Congolese and the entire region.

Distributed by APO Group on behalf of UN News.

Previous Post

VFS Global’s new Indonesia e-Visa on Arrival official platform goes live for 97 nationalities, including South Africa

Next Post

MainOne Lights Up on Equiano, Providing Unparalleled Redundancy for Enterprises

Related Posts

APO News

South Sudan: United Nations (UN) Commission warns elections without essential safeguards and genuine dialogue could fuel renewed conflict and atrocity crimes

20 August 2026
APO News

Mozambique’s Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Restart, Gas-to-Power Push Shape African Energy Week (AEW) 2026 Investment Discussion

20 August 2026
APO News

Egypt: President El-Sisi Receives Prime Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs of State of Qatar

20 August 2026
APO News

Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Advances Harmonisation of the Regional Postal Sector Regulatory Framework

20 August 2026

Nairobi’s Growing Padel Community Gears Up for Networks Open Season 2

18 August 2026

Kenya Targets 45 Million SHA Members as Health Summit Opens

18 August 2026

How One Sip Ignited My Tequila Passion

25 August 2025

Standard Chartered Kenya’s half-year profit falls 17% as interest income declines

20 August 2026

How a Regional Company Beat a Global Competitor to a USD 170 Million Kenyan Contract (By Sharon Cheramboss)

19 August 2026

Cancer patients to benefit from dedicated therapy in Mombasa

18 August 2026

NewsTrendsKE

A News Blog For Readers Who Want More

Follow us on social media:

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

No Result
View All Result
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

Exit mobile version