Sunday, May 24, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
NewsTrendsKE
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
NewsTrendsKE
No Result
View All Result

Home » Featured » Seoul Halloween crush kills at least 151 people, injures 82

Seoul Halloween crush kills at least 151 people, injures 82

4 years ago
in Featured
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp

At least 151 people have died in a crush as huge Halloween crowds surged into a narrow street in South Korea’s capital, Seoul, officials say.

At least 82 were injured in the incident in the Itaewon nightlife area which was holding its first unmasked Halloween celebrations since Covid.

Also Read

NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Countries in the Horn of Africa and Yemen recommit to ending variant poliovirus

23 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Seychelles: President Visits Police and Fire Services in Final Stop on La Digue Tour

23 May 2026
Load More

Reports describe a desperate scene of people caught up in the crush piling on top of each other.

Most of the dead were teenagers or in their 20s. Nineteen were foreigners.

The cause of the disaster is still being established.

After holding an emergency meeting, South Korea’s President, Yoon Suk-yeol, ordered a task force to be set up to help treat the injured. He also launched an investigation into the cause of the crush.

With the death toll as it stands, this is the deadliest disaster in South Korea since 2014, when the Sewol ferry sank killing more than 300 people.

Itaewon is one of the most popular neighbourhoods in Seoul for a night out. Locals and foreigners flock there every weekend, but Halloween is one of the busiest nights of the year.

An estimated 100,000 people came to celebrate there on Saturday to mark the first Halloween since the start of the pandemic where gathering sizes were not limited and people did not need to wear masks outside.

The crush appears to have started in a narrow, sloped alleyway that was overcrowded with people. Pictures and videos on social media show the alley was so densely packed, people were unable to move. One video shows people struggling to breathe. In another, emergency responders try to pull out people from what appears to be a pile of bodies. Cries of distress can be heard.

Bodies were lined up along the street covered in blue blankets. Others were carried, lifeless, into ambulances. Members of the public desperately administered CPR to those who were lying unconscious, along with hundreds of emergency workers who were sent in from around the country to help.

Relatives and friends of missing people have been turning up at the scene this morning looking for clues to reveal whether their loved ones were there.

But the bodies have been moved from the street into a gymnasium, for family members to come and identify them. With so many victims, this is expected to take time and is the authorities’ immediate priority.

A doctor who administered first aid at the scene said that when he had first started performing CPR there were two victims but “the number exploded soon after, outnumbering the first responders”.

Social media messages posted earlier in the evening showed some people remarking that the Itaewon area was so crowded that it felt unsafe.

One witness, Park Jung-Hoon, told Reuters news agency that big crowds were normal for Christmas and fireworks celebrations but “this was several ten-fold bigger than any of that”.

A local journalist said that an emergency broadcast had been sent to every mobile phone in the Yongsan District urging citizens to return home as soon as possible due to “an emergency accident near Hamilton Hotel in Itaewon”.

The attention will likely shift to the safety standards and crowd control measures in place on these occasions. President Yoon has already called for a review of the safety of festivity sites.

Several world leaders have expressed their condolences. British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and French President Emmanuel Macron said their thoughts were with the people of South Korea.

The EU’s chief diplomat, Josep Borrell, said he was deeply saddened and the US national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, pledged American support.

 

The post Seoul Halloween crush kills at least 151 people, injures 82 appeared first on KBC.

Previous Post

Winning start for Lionesses in Kampala

Next Post

Ababu urges Kenyan athletes to compete in clean sport

Related Posts

NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Countries in the Horn of Africa and Yemen recommit to ending variant poliovirus

23 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Seychelles: President Visits Police and Fire Services in Final Stop on La Digue Tour

23 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Member States advance regional coordination on Bundibugyo Ebola response

23 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Inspection Team Visits ECOWAS Stabilisation Support Mission in Guinea Bissau

23 May 2026
Samsung S25 Ultra

Samsung Galaxy S25 Ultra Review: The Ultimate Powerhouse

4 March 2025
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Member States advance regional coordination on Bundibugyo Ebola response

23 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Inspection Team Visits ECOWAS Stabilisation Support Mission in Guinea Bissau

23 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

World Health Organization (WHO) Supports Zambia to Strengthen Access to Mental Health Medicines and Services

23 May 2026
Carrefour Checkout at Two Rivers

Carrefour Celebrates 10 Years in Kenya with 34 Stores, 3,000 Jobs, 99% Locally Supplied Products, and Customer Rewards

22 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Brazzaville 2026 African Development Bank Group (AfDB) Annual Meetings to focus on mobilising Africa’s development financing at scale

22 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE

NewsTrendsKE

A News Blog For Readers Who Want More

Follow us on social media:

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

No Result
View All Result
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

Go to mobile version