Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
NewsTrendsKE
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
NewsTrendsKE
No Result
View All Result

Home » APO News » Acute Malnutrition Soars in South Sudan with Millions of Children at Risk following Aid Cuts

Acute Malnutrition Soars in South Sudan with Millions of Children at Risk following Aid Cuts

11 months ago
in APO News
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp

Save the Children
Download logo

A deadly mix of conflict, climate change and poverty have pushed 2.3 million children aged under 5 in South Sudan into life threatening acute malnutrition, with rates soaring just months after foreign governments announced the slashing of funds to the world’s poorest countries, Save the Children said.

Also Read

NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Bouka Family Sets Out Again to Conquer Everest

19 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Kaspersky maps Artificial intelligence (AI) and the evolving threat landscape at AI Everything Kenya x GITEX Kenya

19 May 2026
Load More

Latest figures from the Integrated Phase Classification (IPC) – the leading global authority on the severity of hunger crises – show that in just over six months, the number of people living in the worst phase of acute hunger (IPC Phase 5) in South Sudan has doubled [1], and the percentage of the population living in crisis levels of acute hunger (IPC Phase 3 and above) has shot up from 47% to 57% – an increase of 21% [2].

A lack of food, insufficient medical supplies in health facilities and major disease outbreaks including cholera, the number of acutely malnourished children under the age of five across South Sudan has increased from 2.1 million to 2.3 million – a 10.5% increase, representing an additional 218,000 malnourished children.
Of the 80 counties in which data was collected, 62 – 78% recorded a general deterioration in acute malnutrition, according to the IPC.

Children are always the most vulnerable in food crises and, without enough to eat and the right nutritional balance, they are at high risk of becoming acutely malnourished, said Save the Children.

Malnutrition can cause stunting, impede mental and physical development, and increase the risk of contracting deadly diseases.

All this comes as foreign aid cuts have brought lifesaving programmes across South Sudan – one of the world’s most aid-dependent countries – to a standstill.

Chris Nyamandi, Save the Children Country Director in South Sudan, said:

“When there is a lack of food, children’s bodies become a battleground. The impacts of malnutrition – stunting, impeded mental and physical development, and increased risk of contracting deadly diseases – can be life-shattering.

“These latest figures are a cry to donors: please, see what happens to children when you let humanitarian crises take hold. Please, don’t leave the children of South Sudan behind. This is about survival for today – but it is also about hope for tomorrow, to build a better world.”

Globally, one in five deaths among children aged under 5 are attributed to severe acute malnutrition, making it one of the top threats to child survival. Community-based programmes combining medical treatment and therapeutic foods, including a fortified peanut paste, have a 90% success rate.

Earlier this year, Save the Children reported that at least 110,000 [3] severely acutely malnourished children supported by the aid agency in 10 countries, including South Sudan, could be left without access to life-saving ready-to-use emergency food and nutrition programmes as aid cuts hit supplies in coming months.

The charity also reported that at least five children with cholera in South Sudan had died on an arduous journey to seek medical treatment, after aid cuts forced their local health services to close in the middle of a major outbreak of the deadly disease.

Save the Children has worked in South Sudan since 1991, when it was part of Sudan. The child rights organisation provides children with access to education, healthcare and nutritional support, and families with food security and livelihoods assistance.  

Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Save the Children.

Previous Post

Kenya: Health Cabinet Secretary Hon. Aden Duale Leads Launch of Health Facility Digitalization

Next Post

Orange Becomes the Strategic Partner of the Agence Française de Développement (AFD) Group for digital initiatives

Related Posts

NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Bouka Family Sets Out Again to Conquer Everest

19 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Kaspersky maps Artificial intelligence (AI) and the evolving threat landscape at AI Everything Kenya x GITEX Kenya

19 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) Declares the Ongoing Bundibugyo Ebola Outbreak a Public Health Emergency of Continental Security

19 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Statement on United States (US) Travel Restrictions Related to the Bundibugyo Ebola Outbreak

19 May 2026
Saveer Vohra of Vohra Group delivers a keynote address during a breakfast meeting at Serena Hotel, Nairobi, to launch Stanbic Bank’s Family-Owned Business Proposition

Stanbic Bank Kenya launches advisory proposition for family-owned businesses

19 May 2026
Liberty Kenya Holdings Chief Executive, Kieran Godden speaking during the Liberty pension conference held in Nairobi

Liberty Kenya Targets Seniors, Children in Care With New Health Insurance Covers

13 May 2026
Photo by Anna Tarazevich: https://www.pexels.com/photo/close-up-of-doctor-hands-7904461/

Kenya on High Alert as WHO Declares Ebola Emergency in DRC and Uganda

19 May 2026
Exabeam

Exabeam Partners with Tuwaiq Academy to Develop Cybersecurity Talent Across 40,000+ Students in Saudi Arabia

18 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Port Community Systems (PCS) as the crisis backbone: how trade disruption makes digital port infrastructure non-negotiable (By Alioune Ciss)

19 May 2026
Tiktok for artists

TikTok removed over 820,000 million videos in Kenya in Q4 2025 to strengthen platform safety

19 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE

NewsTrendsKE

A News Blog For Readers Who Want More

Follow us on social media:

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

No Result
View All Result
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

Go to mobile version