Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
NewsTrendsKE
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
NewsTrendsKE
No Result
View All Result

Home » World » Kenyan troops in Haiti: UN confirms four sex abuse allegations against the force Kenya leads

Kenyan troops in Haiti: UN confirms four sex abuse allegations against the force Kenya leads

2 months ago
in World
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Landmark ruling finally brings justice for survivors of wartime sexual violence in Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)

Landmark ruling finally brings justice for survivors of wartime sexual violence in Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp

The United Nations has substantiated all four sexual exploitation and abuse allegations levelled last year against the Gang Suppression Force in Haiti — a security mission staffed mainly by Kenyan police officers and soldiers who deployed there in June 2024.

The findings, contained in a UN report dated February 16 and first disclosed by Haiti’s AyiboPost, have put Kenya at the centre of an accountability crisis. The force Kenya spearheaded, now formally renamed the Gang Suppression Force, has more than 1,000 personnel drawn from Kenya, Jamaica, Belize, the Bahamas, Guatemala and El Salvador.

Also Read

No Content Available
Load More

“All the allegations were found to be substantiated by investigations conducted by the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights,” UN Report, February 16, 2026

The report said it had referred the results to the force’s leaders for “appropriate investigation and remedial measures.” A spokesperson for the force declined to comment.

Crucially, the UN says its hands are tied. Because the Haiti operation is not a formal UN peacekeeping mission, the burden of prosecution lies elsewhere.

Further action on the cases was up to the force and the countries involved because the operation “was not a formal U.N. mission,” Marta Hurtado Gomez, UN Human Rights Commission spokesperson, to AyiboPost

That statement puts the spotlight squarely on Nairobi. Kenya supplies the majority of the force’s roughly 1,000 troops and was the driving force behind its creation. Haiti’s prime minister’s office said it was not immediately able to comment; the UN human rights commission did not respond to a request for comment.

A shadow from Haiti’s past

The revelations arrive with painful historical context. The earlier UN peacekeeping mission in Haiti, known as MINUSTAH and active from 2004 to 2017, was plagued by widespread sexual abuse and exploitation allegations — including cases involving child victims. Only a handful of peacekeepers were ever prosecuted by their home countries.

Critics fear history is repeating itself. The force was restructured in September 2025 to become larger, better resourced and more aggressive in targeting gang violence. An advance team from Chad, which has pledged 800 additional troops, arrived on Wednesday.

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

With the UN referring the cases back to the contributing nations, Kenya’s government faces growing pressure to publicly account for the allegations and confirm whether any officers have been disciplined or recalled.

Tags: HaitiSexual Abuse
Previous Post

Make Easter Memorable with Samsung with Gifts That Turn Moments into Memories

Next Post

IEBC Voter Verification Portal: How Kenyans Can Check Their Registration Details Online

Related Posts

No Content Available
Saveer Vohra of Vohra Group delivers a keynote address during a breakfast meeting at Serena Hotel, Nairobi, to launch Stanbic Bank’s Family-Owned Business Proposition

Stanbic Bank Kenya launches advisory proposition for family-owned businesses

19 May 2026
Absa Kenya

Absa Wins Best Retail Bank Award as Digital Banking Growth Accelerates

18 May 2026
Exabeam

Exabeam Partners with Tuwaiq Academy to Develop Cybersecurity Talent Across 40,000+ Students in Saudi Arabia

18 May 2026
Liberty Kenya Holdings Chief Executive, Kieran Godden speaking during the Liberty pension conference held in Nairobi

Liberty Kenya Targets Seniors, Children in Care With New Health Insurance Covers

13 May 2026
Photo by Anna Tarazevich: https://www.pexels.com/photo/close-up-of-doctor-hands-7904461/

Kenya on High Alert as WHO Declares Ebola Emergency in DRC and Uganda

19 May 2026
Tiktok for artists

TikTok removed over 820,000 million videos in Kenya in Q4 2025 to strengthen platform safety

19 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE

NewsTrendsKE

A News Blog For Readers Who Want More

Follow us on social media:

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

No Result
View All Result
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

Go to mobile version