Friday, May 22, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
NewsTrendsKE
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
NewsTrendsKE
No Result
View All Result

Home » APO News » Mozambique: Armed Group’s Child Abductions Surge in North

Mozambique: Armed Group’s Child Abductions Surge in North

11 months ago
in APO News
Reading Time: 5 mins read
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp

Human Rights Watch (HRW)
Download logo

An armed group linked to the Islamic State (ISIS) has ramped up abductions of children in northern Mozambique’s Cabo Delgado province, Human Rights Watch said today. Most of the abducted children are being used for transporting looted goods, forced labor, forced marriages, and taking part in the fighting.

Also Read

NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Algeria: Mr. Attaf received by the President of the Arab Republic of Egypt

22 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Seychelles and Russian Federation Advance Bilateral Engagements Following State Visit

22 May 2026
Load More

National civil society groups and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) report that such kidnappings are on the rise. While the armed group, locally known as Al-Shabab, released some of the children they abducted earlier this year, a number of children remain missing; those who have returned to their communities struggle with reintegration. 

“The surge in abductions of children in Cabo Delgado adds to the horrors of Mozambique’s conflict,” said Ashwanee Budoo-Scholtz, deputy Africa director at Human Rights Watch. “Al-Shabab needs to spare children from the conflict and immediately release those who have been abducted.”

In May and June 2025, Human Rights Watch interviewed nine people in Mozambique, including residents of Cabo Delgado, journalists, civil society activists, and a UN official, all of whom expressed concern about the resurgence of kidnappings. “In recent days, 120 or more children have been abducted,” said Abudo Gafuro, executive director at Kwendeleya, a national organization that monitors attacks and provides support to victims. 

On January 23, 2025, Al-Shabab attacked the village of Mumu, in Mocímboa da Praia district, and abducted four girls and three boys. During Al-Shabab’s subsequent retreat, two children were released, but five remain missing. In March, the armed group abducted six children in Chibau to carry looted goods; four were released the following day. On May 3, Al-Shabab abducted a girl in the village of Ntotwe, Mocímboa da Praia district; on May 11, they kidnapped six girls and two boys near Magaia village in Muidumbe district. 

When Al-Shabab fighters “enter or attack certain areas, they tend to abduct children,” said Augusta Iaquite, coordinator at the Association of Women in Legal Careers in Cabo Delgado. “They take them to train them and later turn them into their own fighters.” 

When children who have been abducted return to the community, there are few resources to help them reintegrate, Human Rights Watch said. “The country needs a clear strategy on what to do when a child, especially one that has been rescued, returns,” said Benilde Nhalivilo, executive director at the Civil Society Forum for Children’s Rights. 

Civil society organizations have called on Mozambique’s government to fulfill the country’s obligations under domestic and international law to protect the nation’s children. 

Mozambique’s Constitution and the 2008 Law for the Promotion and Protection of Children’s Rights enshrine the state’s duty to protect children from all forms of violence, exploitation, and abuse. Additionally, Mozambique is a party to various international and regional instruments that guarantee children’s rights, including the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child. Both explicitly prohibit the abduction, recruitment, and exploitation of children. The UN Optional Protocol to the Child Rights Convention on the involvement of children in armed conflict, ratified by Mozambique in 2004, prohibits non-state armed groups from recruiting or using children under 18. 

Under customary international humanitarian law and the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court, children are entitled to special respect and protection, and recruiting or using children under the age of 15 to participate actively in hostilities is a war crime. 

Mozambican authorities should seek to prevent further abductions, investigate existing cases and fairly prosecute those responsible, and ensure proper support for victims, Human Rights Watch said. Rescued children need medical care, psychosocial assistance, and reintegration mechanisms that provide for their protection and well-being.

“Mozambique’s government needs to take concrete actions to safeguard children and prevent armed groups from using them as tools of conflict,” Budoo-Scholtz said. “There is a need to ensure that there are robust reintegration measures so that the children are not further ostracized when they come back to the community.”

Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Human Rights Watch (HRW).

Previous Post

Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Secretary General Praises His Majesty King Mohammed VI’s Leadership in Advancing Socioeconomic Development in Morocco

Next Post

Business Working Groups of the United States-Nigeria Commercial and Investment Partnership Deepen Commercial Cooperation and Expand Opportunities for Mutual Prosperity

Related Posts

NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Algeria: Mr. Attaf received by the President of the Arab Republic of Egypt

22 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Seychelles and Russian Federation Advance Bilateral Engagements Following State Visit

22 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Liberia: President Boakai Congratulates Cameroon on National Day

22 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Ebola response support: United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) airlifts nearly 30 tons of equipment to Bunia

22 May 2026
Liberty Kenya Holdings Chief Executive, Kieran Godden speaking during the Liberty pension conference held in Nairobi

Liberty Kenya Targets Seniors, Children in Care With New Health Insurance Covers

13 May 2026
RUBiS Energy Kenya Fanikiwa na Ultra Tec

EPRA Set to Allow Petrol to Be Blended With Locally Produced Biofuel

21 May 2026
KCB Bank

KCB Group Q1 Net Profit Rises 10% to KSh18.2 Billion on Higher Income, Improved Asset Quality

21 May 2026
Google introduces new agentic era with Gemini

Google introduces new agentic era with Gemini

21 May 2026
Saveer Vohra of Vohra Group delivers a keynote address during a breakfast meeting at Serena Hotel, Nairobi, to launch Stanbic Bank’s Family-Owned Business Proposition

Stanbic Bank Kenya launches advisory proposition for family-owned businesses

19 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Merck Foundation advances Healthcare Capacity through 2600+ Medical Scholarships across 52 Countries with African and Asian First Ladies

16 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE

NewsTrendsKE

A News Blog For Readers Who Want More

Follow us on social media:

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

No Result
View All Result
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

Go to mobile version