Friday, August 21, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
NewsTrendsKE
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
NewsTrendsKE
No Result
View All Result

Home » Politics » Former CJ David Maraga Claims Security Withdrawal Linked to June 25 Memorial Protest Support

Former CJ David Maraga Claims Security Withdrawal Linked to June 25 Memorial Protest Support

Queen Amber by Queen Amber
1 year ago
in Politics
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
david maraga

David Maraga at a press briefing

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp

Former Chief Justice David Maraga has alleged that his police security detail was abruptly withdrawn by the government due to his recent involvement in the June 25 memorial protests.

In a formal complaint addressed to Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen and Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja, Maraga expressed his concerns over what he believes to be a retaliatory action, following his outspoken criticism of the police force and his participation in the protests that commemorated victims of last year’s unrest.

Also Read

Kenya Health Summit 2026

Kenya Targets 45 Million SHA Members as Health Summit Opens

18 August 2026
World Youth Skills Day

World Youth Skills Day: Why Kenya Must Help Young People Turn Skills into Jobs and Businesses

14 July 2026
Load More

Maraga, who retired on January 12, 2021, is entitled to police protection under the Retirement Benefits (Deputy President and Designated State Officers) Act. According to Maraga, his security detail, which had been provided on request since his retirement, was withdrawn without prior notice.

“The withdrawal was abrupt, with no formal communication or prior consultation,” Maraga said. “On June 25, 2025, as I joined the youth and families of those who died or went missing in last year’s tragic events, one of my security officers was told not to report for duty. The following day, I was informed that the rest of my team had been reassigned.”

While Maraga acknowledged that officers are sometimes required to attend training, he stressed that such changes are typically made with adequate notice and consultation. He further emphasized that the security arrangements provided by the National Police Service are not a mere privilege but a constitutional and legal right.

“I demand the immediate reinstatement of my security,” Maraga stated in his letter to the Ministry of Interior. “These arrangements are guaranteed under both the Constitution and the law, and must be respected.”

Maraga’s suspicions about the motive behind the withdrawal grew after his public criticism of the police, particularly his call for the arrest and prosecution of senior officers implicated in the controversial death of Albert Ojwang, who allegedly died in police custody. Maraga linked his security’s sudden removal to these actions, stating, “It is curious that my security was withdrawn immediately following my public stance on police accountability and my involvement in the protests.”

The protests on June 25, which saw violent clashes between demonstrators and law enforcement, resulted in over 600 injuries, including gunshot wounds, stabbings, and reports of sexual violence. Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) and other emergency responders were deployed to provide medical care to the injured, while Amnesty International reported at least 16 deaths, the majority at the hands of police forces.

Maraga’s case raises broader concerns about the relationship between political dissent and security privileges for retired officials. His claims have sparked public debate about whether this was an isolated incident or part of a larger pattern of government efforts to suppress those who challenge its policies.

Tags: Gen ZMaragaRuto
Previous Post

Ruto Condemns June 25 Deadly Protests, Vows to Hold Perpetrators Accountable

Next Post

Powering Women’s Economic Transformation in Kigoma

Related Posts

Kenya Health Summit 2026
Health

Kenya Targets 45 Million SHA Members as Health Summit Opens

18 August 2026
World Youth Skills Day
World

World Youth Skills Day: Why Kenya Must Help Young People Turn Skills into Jobs and Businesses

14 July 2026
William Ruto
Investments

President William Ruto has signed the landmark Sovereign Wealth Fund Bill, 2026 into law

13 July 2026
William Ruto
OpEds

Nairobi on Lockdown: What the June 25 Barricades Tell Us About Ruto’s Presidency

26 June 2026

Nairobi’s Growing Padel Community Gears Up for Networks Open Season 2

18 August 2026
Standard Chartered

Standard Chartered Kenya’s half-year profit falls 17% as interest income declines

20 August 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Public Works Chairperson Celebrates Winners of Women in Construction at the 2026 ERWIC Awards

20 August 2026
Emmanuel Osinde, brand ambassador of Luxury and premium spirits at Diageo

How One Sip Ignited My Tequila Passion

25 August 2025
S-CLASS

Mercedes-Benz Marks 140 Years, Unveils New S-Class in Kenya

18 August 2026
Airtel Africa

Airtel Africa, Starlink launch Africa’s first satellite-to-mobile service in DRC

17 August 2026
NewsTrendsKE

NewsTrendsKE

A News Blog For Readers Who Want More

Follow us on social media:

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

No Result
View All Result
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

Go to mobile version