Saturday, August 22, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
NewsTrendsKE
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
NewsTrendsKE
No Result
View All Result

Home » APO News » Egypt: Special Rapporteur concerned about use of anti-terrorism legislation against human rights defenders

Egypt: Special Rapporteur concerned about use of anti-terrorism legislation against human rights defenders

Queen Amber by Queen Amber
2 years ago
in APO News
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
Download logo

An independent human rights expert today expressed concern about the continued application of anti-terrorism legislation in Egypt to imprison human rights defenders.

Also Read

NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Ituri: United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) destroys explosive remnants of war in Bule

21 August 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Zambia: Statement by the Spokesperson on the general elections

21 August 2026
Load More

“Although there has been some progress with the release of some detainees and the development of a national human rights strategy, Egypt persists in routinely misusing counter-terrorism legislation and recycling criminal charges against human rights defenders,” said Mary Lawlor, Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders.

“What is particularly striking is the continued detention of human rights defenders past their release date by repeatedly charging them with similar, if not identical, terrorism-related accusations, in a practice commonly known as “rotation” or “recycling”,” Lawlor said.

The Special Rapporteur previously raised concerns in this regard in 22 communications sent to the Government of Egypt since May 2020. The practice of “rotation” was also highlighted by the UN Human Rights Committee in its concluding observations on Egypt’s last review in March 2023.

In particular, the Special Rapporteur expressed concern over the use of this practice to detain three human rights defenders for lengthy periods of time.

“It is shocking that instead of being released at the end of her five-year sentence on 1 November 2023, human rights lawyer Ms. Hoda Abdel Moneim was detained again under new charges. And one year later, a third set of charges was brought against her. She is now facing two new trials, with one of the new charges – ‘joining an unnamed terrorist organisation’ – being identical to that for which she had completed her sentence in 2023, in violation of the principle of double jeopardy”, Lawlor said.

In November 2024, the same terrorism-related charge was brought against another woman human rights defender, Aisha al-Shater, who was tried in the same case with Abdel Moneim. This charge is also identical to that for which she is currently serving a 10-year prison sentence.

In a third case, human rights defender and lawyer Ibrahim Metwally has been arbitrarily detained without trial for over four years. He was arrested in 2017 at Cairo Airport, while he was on his way to Geneva to meet with the UN Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances. Although the Cairo Criminal Court has ordered his conditional release twice, he was repeatedly charged with new terrorism-related offences, one of which he supposedly committed in prison. The UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention previously found Metwally’s detention to be arbitrary and noted that it amounts to an act of retaliation for cooperation with the UN.

“It is outrageous that Mr Metwally is facing trial in three cases, including that of ‘conspiring with foreign entities’, which appear to be in relation to his cooperation with the UN and his peaceful human rights work in Egypt prior to his detention,” Lawlor said.

The Special Rapporteur noted that the poor prison conditions in which the three human rights defenders are held were equally alarming. The human rights defenders have had health problems from the start of their arrest and have reportedly been denied adequate medical treatment despite the severity of their conditions, which may amount to physical and psychological ill-treatment.

“It is unacceptable for prison authorities to deny recommended surgery, bar the transfer of a detainee to a hospital, or withhold medical records from the detainee’s family and lawyer,” Lawlor said.

The Special Rapporteur is in contact with the authorities of Egypt on this issue and has urged them to meet their international human rights obligations, by which they must abide.

Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR).

Previous Post

CORRECTION: Invest in African Energies Reception in Rio de Janeiro to Spotlight Brazil-Africa Energy Opportunities

Next Post

A booming continent needs a new payment infrastructure

Related Posts

NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Ituri: United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) destroys explosive remnants of war in Bule

21 August 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Zambia: Statement by the Spokesperson on the general elections

21 August 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Inaugural Tanzania Investment Forum to bring opportunities to the global capital market

21 August 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates
APO News

Tanzania: Ambassador Chen Mingjian Takes an Interview with “Thousands of Miles on the Silk Road – Colours of Africa” Program “Ambassador’s Dialogue”

21 August 2026

Kenya’s third ETF targets Sh7bn as banking stocks extend NSE rally

13 August 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Zambia: Statement by the Spokesperson on the general elections

21 August 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Mozambique’s Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Restart, Gas-to-Power Push Shape African Energy Week (AEW) 2026 Investment Discussion

20 August 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Public Works Chairperson Celebrates Winners of Women in Construction at the 2026 ERWIC Awards

20 August 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

How a Regional Company Beat a Global Competitor to a USD 170 Million Kenyan Contract (By Sharon Cheramboss)

19 August 2026

A booming continent needs a new payment infrastructure

16 January 2025
NewsTrendsKE

NewsTrendsKE

A News Blog For Readers Who Want More

Follow us on social media:

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

No Result
View All Result
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

Go to mobile version