Sunday, May 24, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
NewsTrendsKE
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
NewsTrendsKE
No Result
View All Result

Home » Health » Governors Clash With CS Duale, Health Ministry Over UHC Staff Transition

Governors Clash With CS Duale, Health Ministry Over UHC Staff Transition

9 months ago
in Health, Politics
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
CS Duale

CS Duale

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp

The Council of Governors (CoG) has opposed the Ministry of Health’s decision to transfer Universal Health Coverage (UHC) staff to county governments, terming the move premature and inconsistent with earlier agreements between the two levels of government.

In a strongly worded statement released today, the Chair of the CoG Health Committee, Tharaka Nithi Governor Muthomi Njuki, said the Ministry’s announcement on 25 August contradicted positions previously agreed upon in consultations with counties.

Also Read

Dr Mercy Mwangangi

Kenyans Miss Dr. Mercy Mwangangi Dearly: ‘Come Save Us’

9 July 2024
Load More

According to Governor Njuki, three critical issues remain unresolved before the absorption of UHC staff can proceed:

  1. Transfer of staff: The governors insist that the Ministry of Health must allocate adequate resources aligned to the Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRC) salary scales before payroll responsibilities are shifted to counties. Since the UHC contracts are still active, Njuki said transferring staff now is “premature and untimely.”
  2. Verification of staff: Njuki noted that the verification exercise of UHC staff has not been finalised. The report is yet to be validated or officially shared with counties, making the Ministry’s proposed transfer process untenable.
  3. Payment of gratuity: UHC staff employed on contractual terms are entitled to gratuity, which Njuki said must be paid in full by the Ministry of Health before any transition.

“The Council reiterates its earlier commitment to absorb verified UHC staff and facilitate their salaries in line with the approved SRC salary scales, once the allocation of resources has been disbursed to the counties and gratuity obligations have been honoured,” Governor Njuki stated.

He further emphasised that any transition must be guided by the Constitution, which provides for consultation and cooperation between the two levels of government rather than unilateral directives.

While reaffirming their commitment to collaboration with the Ministry of Health, the governors warned that without adequate funding and proper procedures, the absorption of UHC staff “will be unattainable.”

“This matter is not about resisting devolution of health, it is about ensuring that counties have the resources and clarity to manage staff effectively without disrupting service delivery,” Njuki said.

The standoff comes at a critical time for Kenya’s health sector, with counties shouldering increasing responsibilities in service delivery under devolution.

Tags: DualeMinistry of HealthUHC
Previous Post

Central African Republic ratifies the Maputo Protocol, becoming the 46th African Union Member State to commit to advancing women’s rights

Next Post

Old Mutual Holdings Reports KES 380 million in Profit in H12025, Reaffirms Customer Commitment Amid Higher Claims

Related Posts

Dr Mercy Mwangangi
Featured

Kenyans Miss Dr. Mercy Mwangangi Dearly: ‘Come Save Us’

9 July 2024
Samsung S25 Ultra

Samsung Galaxy S25 Ultra Review: The Ultimate Powerhouse

4 March 2025
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Member States advance regional coordination on Bundibugyo Ebola response

23 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Inspection Team Visits ECOWAS Stabilisation Support Mission in Guinea Bissau

23 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

World Health Organization (WHO) Supports Zambia to Strengthen Access to Mental Health Medicines and Services

23 May 2026
Carrefour Checkout at Two Rivers

Carrefour Celebrates 10 Years in Kenya with 34 Stores, 3,000 Jobs, 99% Locally Supplied Products, and Customer Rewards

22 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE with APO News Updates

Brazzaville 2026 African Development Bank Group (AfDB) Annual Meetings to focus on mobilising Africa’s development financing at scale

22 May 2026
NewsTrendsKE

NewsTrendsKE

A News Blog For Readers Who Want More

Follow us on social media:

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

No Result
View All Result
  • Business
    • Deals
  • OpEds
  • Sustainability
  • Women in Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Featured
  • Technology
    • Phones
  • Sports
  • World
  • Contact Us

©2026 NewsTrendsKE.

Go to mobile version